How much should it cost to maintain Dorothea Dix Park? Let’s look at Raleigh Park System for guidance:
- Raleigh Parks total 10,000 acres
- 200 Parks
- $50 Million to operate and maintain the buildings and land.
- Approximately $5000 per acre
- Dix Park 308 acres
- Should be about $1,6 Million to maintain just a few buildings and the land.
- Dix park represents 3% of the area of the Raleigh park system
Dix doesn’t need as many buildings as the plan calls for. They are both expensive to restore and maintain. Here is a breakdown of the plans from the Master Plan.
|Total existing buildings||85 buildings|
|Total existing floor area||1,171,818 sq ft||26.9 acres|
|Total existing footprint||679,790 sq ft||15.6 acres|
|Buildings to be removed||53||64% of buildings|
|Floor area to be removed||478,328 sq ft||41% of existing floor area||10.98 acres|
|Footprint to be removed||331,521 sq ft||49% of existing footprint||7.61 acres|
|Buildings preserved||32||37% of existing buildings|
|Floor area preserved||693,490 sq ft||59% of existing floor area||15.92 acres|
|Footprint preserved||348,269 sq ft||51% of existing footprint||7.99 acres|
|Buildings and surrounding lawns preserved||1,602,178 sq ft||12% of 308 acres||36.78 acres|